LEVULAN-PDT is a treatment using an agent known as LEVULAN -Aminolevulinic Acid (ALA), a photosensitizing topical prescription solution applied to the skin. The ALA is preferentially absorbed by abnormal skin and penetrates both the Actinic Keratoses as well as other sundamaged lesions and deep cystic acne. The skin is then exposed to one or more specialized therapeutic lights ( BLU-U and/or BBL) which activates the ALA and gradually destroys the areas of abnormal skin with little downtime. The precancerous spots and other pigmented areas peel off leaving healthy normal skin. Cystic acne is healed from the inside out.
LEVULAN-Photodynamic Therapy treats:
During your first visit, you will meet with Dr. Jane Burk-Vassallo and a member of the aspireMD health care team for a complimentary consultation. After reviewing your medical history, Dr. Burk-Vassallo will assess your current concerns integrating her 20+ year professional expertise to your care. A detailed conversation and assessment will formulate your diagnosis. Dr. Jane will develop the best treatment approach for you.
Dr. Jane believes knowledge is empowering, and to that end will fully explain each recommendation. When all of your questions are answered, Dr. Jane Burk-Vassallo will work with you to create your treatment plan which encompasses your personal objectives and desired outcomes.
The aspireMD skin care team will take exceptional care of you from start to finish on your journey towards smoother, healthier skin .. your Better Begins here!
After your initial consultation, when all your questions have been answered and you are comfortable with the treatment plan; your informed consent will be obtained. Expect to have your photograph taken to record your baseline image and celebrate your improvement. Your photographs will be kept with the same strict confidentiality as the rest of your medical records.
During your first visit the area to be treated will be thoroughly cleansed. The ALA solution will be applied by your aspireMD healthcare practitioner. Your individualized treatment plan will determine how long your ALA Topical Solution will incubate (45-60 minutes for the face or 12-16 hours for the body) You will return to the clinic to have the ALA activated with either BLU-U Illuminator or BBL photorejuvenation, the process of which are found in the corresponding areas of our website.
- You may resume your normal daily activities immediately.
- Some people experience pink/redness directly after the treatment. This will subside quickly.
- You will notice the area start to lift and peel over the next few days.
- With any of the treatments of Actinic Keratosis you should expect 5-7 days of social self-consciousness downtime. The treated area is expected to be reactive in ridding your body of your pre-cancerous lesions. The area will be red and hot for up to 24 hours; it will then begin to ooze, crust then flake off.
- To achieve maximum improvement of sun damage, skin tone and texture, a series of three treatments 4 weeks apart is the most effective. Treatments can be done at periodic intervals in the future to maintain the rejuvenated appearance of the skin.
- The treatment will increase sun sensitivity for 48 hours after it is administered, so it is important that patients avoid sun exposure during this time period. Sunscreen will not protect the area during the healing process.
- Depending on the treatment individuality prescribed; you may expect to repeat the treatment once monthly for 3 months to diminish your rate of recurrence.
Proof Behind the Promise
Before + After
What They're Saying
I’d had enough of going to the dermatologist every 6 months to have my rough spots freeze gunned. As Dr. Jane explained, the field treatment approach of treating the surrounding area has been more effective in preventing their return and stopping new ones.