BLU-U blue light photodynamic therapy is an advanced treatment for managing acne (moderate inflammatory acne vulgaris) and Actinic Keratosis (AK), as well as activating a specific drug therapy to eliminate AKs. It is recommended as an illumination combination treatment with other bio-active modalities. Employing therapeutic blue light, BLU-U selectively targests and destroys acne-causing bacteria.
During your first visit, you will meet with Dr. Jane Burk-Vassallo and a member of the aspireMD skin health care team for a complimentary consultation. After reviewing your medical history, Dr. Burk-Vassallo will assess your current concerns integrating her 20+ year professional expertise to your care. A detailed conversation and assessment will formulate your diagnosis. Dr. Jane will develop the best treatment approach for you.
Dr. Jane believes knowledge is empowering, and to that end will fully explain each recommendation. When all of your questions are answered, Dr. Jane Burk-Vassallo will work with you to create your treatment plan which encompasses your personal objectives and desired outcomes.
The aspireMD skin health professionals will take great care of you from start to finish on your journey to own your future ... your Better Begins Here!
After your initial consultation, when all your questions have been answered and you are comfortable with the treatment plan; your informed consent will be obtained. Expect to have your photograph taken to record your baseline image and celebrate your improvement. Your photographs will be kept with your file with the same strict confidentiality as your medical records.
Before treatment begins the area to be treated will be thoroughly cleansed with an antiseptic cleanser and you will be provided with goggles to protect your eyes. You will rest comfortably in the treatment chair or bed and the BLU-U light will be placed above and spaciously wrap around your head. A typical BLU-U treatment lasts 20 minutes as the healing light penetrates your skin attacking and neutralizing the breakout causing bacteria on your acne prone skin.
The BLU-U Illuminator is also an integral part of our unique 2-part treatment to light activate a specific drug therapy (Levulan™, ALA Kerastick) which destroys Actinic Keratosis and eliminates deep cystic acne.
If this is your Dr. Jane prescribed treatment approach your process will be 2 stepped:
- First is a meticulous treatment area cleanse. An aspireMD skin health practitioner then applies the Levulan Kerastick Topical Solution to the targeted lesions (AK or cystic acne). The solution is absorbed by the AK or cystic acne cells where it is converted to a substance that makes the extremely sensitive to light. This requires an incubation, rest period of 45- 70 minutes on the face and 12-16 hours on the body.
- The targeted area is then activated by the BLU-U Blue Light Illuminator – a reaction occurs which eradicate either the AK cells or cystic acne that was being treated.
- BLU-U Illuminator requires 20 minutes sessions, twice weekly for 4 weeks (ie. 8 treatments) when used singularly to treat mild to moderate acne.
- BLU-U Photodynamic therapy (2-part treatment) for AK and cystic acne is recommended once monthly for three treatments.
- You may resume regular activities immediately following your treatment.
- BLU-U Illuminator is most often used as part of a combination of treatments within the aspireMD Acne Program and your sessions will be scheduled according to the program Dr. Jane designs for you.
- When BLU-U Illuminator is used in conjunction with Levulan™ (ALA) Kerastick, Actinic Keratosis and Sever Cystic Acne, you may experience a burning/stinging sensation, redness and at times swelling. This ‘sunburned’ type reaction will diminish over 3-5 days.
- The active lesions (AK or cystic acne) may itch, crust and/or scale during the healing process.
- The patches may also appear darker or lighter (hyper/hypo-pigmentation) as they resolve within 1-2 weeks.
- If your skin has been sensitized with Levulan™ prior to your BLU-U Illumination you will be advised to avoid direct sunlight or prolonged intense indoor light for 48 hours.
Proof Behind the Promise
Before + After
What They're Saying
I can feel the light improving my skin every time I come in.